Saturday, June 19, 2010

Post 2

I’m not sure if he’s a speaker in the sense that’s in question, but I would consider one of my past teachers a speaker. My European History teacher for my Junior year in High School was amazing. That was about eight years ago and I still think about his lectures. He was the kind of person that could talk about anything and people would listen. I think what made him so memorable was that he was enthusiastic. When someone is passionate and educated about what they are talking about, it becomes really interesting.

I think the worst speaker I’ve ever heard is my store manager. She butchers speeches and everyday announcements. She messes up her words, sounds awkward, and just generally unprepared. Whether or not she is actually nervous or unprepared, I don’t know. I honestly don’t hear most of what she says because all I can do is correct her grammar in my head. I think her message is mostly about teamwork, but I think it would be better if she could make her message clear.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you still think about the lectures of a teacher eight years later. This speaks volumes about the power a well delivered message can have. I think being well prepared translates into confidence, and as such the speaker can focus their energies on being charismatic. The worst thing a speaker can do is have people walk away either not understanding their message, or being so turned off by the approach that they disengage completely at the beginning of the talk. I’m sorry that your store supervisor lacks the needed skills to bring your team together, and maybe you can pass them your text at the end of class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the fact that a person with enthusiasm and education on a topic helps make a speaker interesting. I believe that ones delivery and enthusiasm is a HUGE part of connecting to their audience. Without passion and education it is hard for me to get into what someone is saying. I enjoy confidence and someone who is well prepared. Teachers do have a lot of power and their words really can stick with us for many years. I also recall many of my teachers lectures for the same reasons you remember yours. Good speakers can really make a class worth while. :)

    ReplyDelete